Support G.IRLS from the hood by investing in their future.
Campaign ClosedYou no longer can pledge on the project
What do you wish you learned as a teenager?
Do you feel like you were equipped for the real world?
Here at Compton girls club we are making lifestyle enrichment accessible for teens in the hood.
Public school is not preparing our youth for life in the real world. Only 34.7% of the female population in Compton actually graduate high school which is well belowthe national graduation rate of 85%. These unprepared teens often become part of over 66k homeless youth in LA County alone.
We are also seeing a rise in depression and mental illness in teens a problem highlighted even more in BIPOC youth.
Over 64% of teens in LA County do not get to address this depression with mentors or even their own peers.
Compton G.IRLS club addresses these issues by provding access to workshops, field trips and other engaging experiences . One week we may be meeting with a licensed therapist with other youth to address anxiety and mental illness. Other times we may be learning how to cook vegan cooking from a local chef within our community.
We remove barriers that are common to our youth in their community like transportation, membership fees, meals and supplies. All of our programming is FREE to our youth.
Our Board is full of dedicated and active members of the community as well. We have worked with our target audience in different capacities.
We are a team of Social Workers, Therapist, Non Profit founders and teachers so we know firsthand the disparities our audience goes through.
We are raising funds to fortify our robust and engaging programming, and magnify our impact to our target audience that we provide to our community at no cost.
We are asking you to donate to an organziation that puts the well being of at risk youth first.
We have some really cool, fun rewards for you to take part in on our campaign page below! Thank you for investing in G.IRLS from the Hood.
The Campaign FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who can participate in this club?
- This club is open to girls and gender non-conforming youth and teens in Compton, Watts, Willowbrook, Gardena, and South Central.
Is your programming really free?
- Yes! There are no costs that parents or participating youth pay to take part in any of our programs. That includes field trips, membership fees, transportation, or anything else. Seriously!
Are you a Black-operated organization?
- Yes our Board and staff are 90% Black and 10% Latina
Are you a 501(c)(3)? Can I get a donation letter?
- Yes we are an official nonprofit. And Yes we can provide a donation receipt on our letterhead for donations over $150. Please email your donation receipt to [email protected]
Please include your name or the business to who you'd like us to make the letter.
When should I expect rewards to come?
- We are a small but mighty team, please expect your rewards at the latest, mid-January. If you are concerned, please contact us.