Kpelle Studios is a multi-use creative studio located in Oklahoma City.
Kpelle Studios (pronounced "Pell-lay") was created with a focus on cultural inclusivity and celebration, as the first Black-woman-owned studio in Oklahoma City, designed specifically for creators of color.
Our mission is to provide a welcoming and safe space for individuals to explore and express their creativity without feeling excluded or marginalized. We understand the unique challenges that minority creators face in the industry, and we aim to address those by providing the necessary resources and opportunities for success.
With a rapidly growing market of diverse creatives, the potential for growth and impact is immense. Your funding would support the growth of our studio and provide the means to expand our services and offerings, such as providing free programming for minority individuals and working with and paying creators of color to fill in the gaps where we cannot physically do everything ourselves.
Our team is passionate and dedicated to uplifting the community and making a positive impact.
About the Space
Kpelle Studios is a dynamic 1,600-square-foot creative space located in the heart of Oklahoma City. Our mission is to provide an empowering learning and working environment for local creatives, entrepreneurs of color, and working mothers committed to building successful careers in the creative industry. By addressing fundamental barriers to entry, our studio enables members to focus on learning cutting-edge technical skills, building professional networks, gaining valuable experience, and growing their businesses with ease.
Kpelle Studios' Goals
- Serve at least 150 women and creators of color per year through our business and creative entrepreneurship programming, with 80% of participants taking next steps to further their technical learning and/or pursue careers in the creative industry.
- Serve at least 30 OKC-based creators of color per year through Kpelle Studios rental services, with 80% successfully completing their projects and expanding their creative portfolio.
- Build and sustain a lasting community that promotes inclusivity, cultural celebration, and personal and professional development for all Kpelle Studios participants.
Kpelle Studios aims to have a multi-pronged impact on the local community:
- Build new wealth from creative jobs that goes back into the local economy.
- Increase representation and ownership in the creative industry to reduce the threat of underrepresentation and exclusion.
- Partner with local small businesses to support their creative needs and promote collaboration.
- Through the above, reinvigorate the social and entrepreneurial fibers of the community.
Chelsi LeBarre is a passionate, multifaceted woman who wears many hats including being a mother, wife, and advocate for empowering and supportive spaces for women, especially for Black women. With a background in marketing, communications, and business administration, Chelsi brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to her clients. She holds a Master's in Business Administration with an emphasis in local and small business management, and an undergraduate degree in Strategic Communications with minors in journalism and photography. In 2021, Chelsi was named NextGen Under 30 in the area of marketing, and her passion for entrepreneurship and supporting women of color in business is evident in everything she does. Chelsi's ultimate goal is to build inclusive spaces that not only bring people together but also help them achieve their full potential.
Thank you for considering supporting our vision of a more inclusive and celebratory creative industry.
Learn more about Kpelle Studios at kpellestudios.com or follow the studio on Instagram @kpellestudios.